Wednesday, July 27, 2011

OpenVPN notes.

I am having some fun because the virtual server I am renting has no modules directory and so I am unable to get the tun/tap interfaces up.


$ sudo modprobe tun
FATAL: Could not load /lib/modules/2.6.18-028stab070.10/modules.dep: No such file or directory

$ uname -a
Linux 2.6.18-028stab070.10 #1 SMP Thu Oct 21 13:44:25 MSD 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ cat /etc/debian_version
lenny/sid

Not sure if I can make it run without getting those modules in place, alternately I make have to set up a physical host on a DSL line some place and open a port on the firewall. What a hassle.

UPDATE:
It's on parallels virtuoso VM and kernel modules are not  available to the Virtual host.
I had to chat with the Sysadmin of Tektonic.net ISP and he flipped some switch and suddenly
 /dev/net/tun started working. Even weirder is lsmod showed no modules loaded.

I want to take a look at Virtual Box and see if that also does some weirdness with Linux modules too.


Install and setup OpenVPN on Debian 4.0 Etch

Quick simple tutorial/howto on OpenVPN with Debian

http://openvpn.net/bridge.html

http://openvpn.net/INSTALL-win32.html

No comments: