Monday, June 29, 2020

Anders Hejlsberg


Everyone who has studied Computers knows who Bjarne Stroustrup, Ken Thompson are and maybe even Niklaus Wirth.

But one name I hadn't run across before was Anders Hejlsberg.


I can't tell you how much I loved Turbo Pascal in the late 1980s in to the 90's... 

I tried to encourage my children growing up to program, showing then the unix shell and C.

I think asking for C++ would be some form of child abuse.

Then showed them a little python but these never really caught on.

Over the years I have really come to dislike MicroSoft.  From having 6 different audio interfaces and having to try every one with all the example code broken, to eventually find not one of them supported full duplex audio, or the fact that the API to draw a bitmap to the screen was undocumented and took me years and money and many developers to find out the calls.
Or the sabotaged Winsock library.   Or control alt delete for logging in to NT, or Wins DNS.

I am in my 50's and 2 of my son's are programming in C# and I was feeling rather bothered by that, and advocating the one learn Javascript. 

He also wrote C#, So I guess I don't feel so bad.




https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anders_Hejlsberg

Anders Hejlsberg (/ˈhaɪlzbɜːrɡ/, born 2 December 1960)[2] is a prominent Danish software engineer who co-designed several popular and commercially successful programming languages and development tools. He was the original author of Turbo Pascal and the chief architect of Delphi. He currently works for Microsoft as the lead architect of C#[1] and core developer on TypeScript.[3]






No comments: